Alumni Sandstorm ~ 05/30/05 ~ MEMORIAL DAY
15 Bombers sent stuff and 1 Bomber funeral notice today: 
Dick McCoy ('45), Betty Hiser ('49)
Ann Clancy ('50), Betty Lou Conner ('52)
Wally Erickson ('53), Laura Dean Kirby ('55)
Bill Berlin ('56), Larry Mattingly ('60)
Dave Hanthorn ('63), Jim Hamilton ('63)
Linda Reining ('64), Rick Maddy ('67)
Mike Howell ('68WB), Rick Valentine ('68)
Zorba Manolopoulos ('91)
BOMBER BIRTHDAY Today: Teri Schuchart ('70)

BOMBER CALENDAR: Richland Bombers Calendar
    Click the event you want to know more about.
>>From: Dick McCoy ('45)

Re: Memorial Day

As I MC the American Legion ceremony at the Stanwood, WA Cemetery, 
three veterans will be in my mind.

My Father, Hugh (RIP) WWI, and two schoolmates from so long ago, 
Merle La Grow, ('44 KIA WWII) and Hibert Askew, ('45 MIA Korea.)

Sleep well, good people. 

-Dick McCoy ('45)
>>From: Betty Hiser Gulley ('49)

Maren: Bless your heart - I finally dug out my annual and you were
right. Georgia Burns was a commercial teacher and the only one in high
school that acknowledged that I couldn't hear (she let me look back and
forth from the paper to the typewriter because I could not hear the
bell to tell you that you were at the end of a line). I also had Miss
Nadine Brown for English, and Mrs. Grace Brown for shorthand. That's
why I like writing in the Alumni Sandstorm - Everyone lets me know
when I goof (or just plain don't remember).

I heard on the TV and read in the paper that they are asking everyone
to stop what they are doing at 3:00 p.m. tomorrow (Memorial Day) and
do what every you do (pray, be silent, give thanks) for a minute to
honor the veterans of the past and present. I remember as kids when
they had Armistice Day we would stand at 11:00 a.m. and say a prayer
for the vets - during part of that time the Second World War was going
on. Someone at the school would play taps. Very emotional.

Take it easy - and have a very nice Memorial Day - safe and sane.

-Betty Hiser Gulley '49er - south/government Richland - supposed to 
                       get to 92 today.  
>>From: Ann Clancy Andrews ('50)

Re: cherries and watermelon "stealing"

To Dick McCoy

We did do some crazy things but we had fun and we did survive!
Wasn't sure I wanted to relate this tale but what the heck~~

Four of the guilty are no longer with us. Just the designated 
driver of the get-away car can say:

Watermelon patch at midnight
Dog barking~~shot gun blast!
Five teenagers~~three watermelons
Consumed at Weeks Park.

-Ann Clancy Andrews ('50)
>>From: Betty Lou Conner Sansom ('52)

Our English teacher was Nadine Brown, and our Shorthand/Typing teacher
was Grace Brown. Miss Alice Spainhower was a replacement of Mrs. Grace
Brown. The PE teachers were Bernice Frymiller and Betsy Carlile. Does
anyone remember Mr. and Mrs. Fuqua, who were both teachers - he in
Commercial subjects (Bookkeeping and Office Machines (calculators on
the dinosaur level of modern technology) - she taught several - I
remember her in English Composition. 

Mr. Kelly was a treasure - really knew his History. And Miss Ida
Meacum was a loving, caring Science teacher. She went on to get her
Doctorate - and we had some contacts with her for a while - until life
moved us out of Richland. She was a very sweet lady. 

Speaking of blackberries. I grew up - pre-Richland - in Eastern
Tennessee. We could walk no more than a half mile to someplace where
we would ask permission to pick berries. We carried small pails - mine
was usually 2 1-gallon Kayro Syrup buckets with a wire bail (handle).
Mother and my sister, LaRee ('50), would fill our buckets while 
dodging bumble bees, June bugs, the local bulls, and worst of all - 
snakes. The berries would attract bugs which birds would come after - 
and snakes would lie in wait for a inattentive bird. There were black
snakes and garden snakes and copperheads!! It was always much too hot
and humid, and there was no water unless we carried it in. The briars
were long and very sharp. And there were chiggers!! I was very blonde
and fair, and they all loved me. I'd come home, in mortal pain from
the briars, and the stings, and bites of the bugs, and Mother would
de-chigger me with salty bacon grease, and then a nice tub (wash tub)
bath in HOT soapy water. Chiggers would already have dug in and I had
to have iodine or mercurochrome applied to those wounds. And carrying
home 2 full syrup buckets of berries, whose bail was just a thin wire,
always left my hands bruised and cut. I whined a whole lot. 

But the winters were the pay back!! Blackberry pies, jelly, jam,
cobblers... Yum! 

I was back there in March of this year. ALL of the old berry patches
are now covered with houses. There are no quiet groves where the
berries hide in plain sight. There are so many homes - the woodlots
and forests have mostly been cut down, and the older homes and farms
are now Developments. We lived halfway between two towns - about 10
miles in either direction - and now there is about a mile between the
two City Limits signs. Eastern Tennessee is now covered with miles of
highway covered with restaurants!! Home Cooking is somewhat of a lost
art. I still have many, many friends and cousins there - but even more
have 'moved on' - and are now in the cemeteries that have also grown.
All my aunts and uncles are long gone. The slow deliberate life styles
of the people are now about the same as in big cities... 

We moved, reluctantly, from Richland in 1964. We lived in Stockton,
California, for 2-1/2 years, then back to Richland for a short while,
when my husband went to work for Bonneville Power Company. They moved
us out to the substation ("Midway Sub") out by the Vantgage bridge. 
We lived there about 3 years, and the company moved us to Western
Washington. We spent time in Lynnwood, Snohomish, Lake Stevens, then
to Bellingham, and then down to Vancouver. After 4 years (a record 
for all our moves) in Vancouver, we were moved to Walla Walla. We had
three girls graduate from Fort Vancouver High School, and we had one
girl and two boys graduate from Walla Walla High School. Our youngest
son was born just before we moved to Midway. We lived 19 years in
Walla Walla. I worked for WWCC at the Penitentiary for 9 years. When
the boys went on to WSU, we were moved once more - this time Doug ('52)
went ahead by a year, and we commuted on the weekend. He was sent to 
The Dalles. So we came over - lock, stock, and barrel - in 1995. Doug 
had a teeny apartment in Murdock (probably NOT on a map. It's a wide 
place in the road (HWY 14) north and west a short distance from The 
Dalles, and Dallesport. When I moved over, I started looking for a 
place to settle. We finally found a rental in Goldendale, and moved 
there in early winter of 1995. And went on a search for property. We 
found it in 1996, and bought 31 acres 5 miles north of town. We built 
a home, and moved in spring of 1997. Doug retired in 2000. We have 
acquired 31 more acres adjacent to our property.

Due to several serious health problems of Doug, we haven't been able
to do all the things we have planned on our property. It has views of
Mount Hood, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Adams, and the Klickitat Valley.
We're hoping the health problems have been resolved (latest surgery
was May 18) - so we can chip away at the woods, and make our place
even more cozy. (We have no sounds of boom boxes, no neighbor problems
- have great neighbors that value their peace and tranquility as
greatly was we do.) We have 6 children, that come and help us when we
have a problem - like now, the grass and weeds took over our cleared
space -- so they have come up to mow and cut the weeds and grass.
We're hoping to once again become independent, for the remainder of
our years. 

We have a daughter in Pasco, and other family members and friends in
Richland and vicinity. We love going over there, but I never liked 
the wind - and it's growing much too fast for our taste. It's still
"home" - and we fondly remember all the growing up there! And the
sports and activities in school Doug moved there from Salt Lake City
in 1943, and I moved over in 1948, while the flood was still in
action. We had moved from Tennessee in 1947 to Sunnyside. It has been
a fun thing - for the most part - moving about. But I hope we don't
have to do it again. There are a few Richlandites here. And LOTS of
former Tri-Citians. We're both graduates of the class of '52. What a
great class!!! We have had more class reunions than any other class, I
believe, due to some diligent and hard-working Wonder Women - and men.
(Luana Ivers P. comes to mind.) We love our class reunions. (We have
only missed two of them - we were MOVING on both those dates!!!) But
we always look forward to the 'next' reunion - and our "Fix" of

Thanks, Maren, for all your work!!

-Betty Lou Conner Sansom ('52)
>>From: Wally Erickson ('53)

Re: Indy 500 & car racing

Seeing an ad on motor scooters (the kind you stand on), small motor
two wheel bikes for kids had me thinking about the time I tried to
make a "Go Kart". I need to go back to when the larger fruit came in
wooden boxes (crates). I think I got the wheels from an old red wagon
(Ryder). Of course, I used the wood box for the hood with tin cans on
each side for head lights I would steer this four wheeled speedster
with a rope off each of the front wheels, plus I had a place to put my
feet; it helped with the steering. I had visions of taking it to Swift
Blvd. down the hill; but, I didn't have any brakes! What did I use for
a motor? That's what friends are for. The cart didn't last very long,
I had a hard time keeping the wheels from coming off. It's just
another memory of things we did to keep busy.

I had a red scooter with the brake pedal at the rear wheel with "kick
stand". The motor of course was you!! The wagon I used for the Go
Kart; I'd give my sister Sue ('59) a ride and try to dump her in the
yard. She would laugh and get back in for more. She was such a great
sport. Thanks Sue!

As a kid, I always wanted a "tree house"; that was next to impossible
during that time since there weren't many trees big enough. The
Webster's across the street had a couple of large willows. The willow
tree in their back yard we used for playing "tag"; we got pretty good
swinging from one branch to the other (we couldn't touch the ground,
or you were "it"). This was during the time when Robin Hood and Tarzan
movies were popular. I'm sure we weren't the only ones climbing trees
for something to do during summer time. "Me Tarzan, you Jane"!!

The summer of 1954, I remember some of us getting together at the
freeway (Bye way) south of Richland for a drag race. You have to
remember, the traffic then was very sparse. We'd wait for a clear time
and line up a couple of cars for the race. My friend Harold George
(RIP'52) had his folks 1953 "98" Olds. I mean this was one fast car
then. We took the spare tire out for less weight. He won, but the race
didn't last very long afterwards; we were getting concerned about the
state patrol showing up. I wouldn't recommend anyone trying it now!!!!

-Wally Erickson ('53) ~ Memories and thanks to all the service men 
    who gave their lives for this "Great Country" of ours!!!! Also, 
    our loved ones and friends who have given us those great memories 
    to share. God Bless! Hot in Coeur D'Alene area.
>>From: Laura Dean Kirby Armstrong ('55)

I just have to brag a little. At the Benton Franklin County
fairgrounds this afternoon, my granddaughter Jade Sansaver from
Kittitas won the title of QUEEN for the Washington State high school
Rodeo. Her mother Shelly Belcher Sansaver is also a Bomber '74. She
holds this title for the following year 2005-2006 season and will go
to Gillette Wyoming for the nationals.

Her mother and father, sister Mica, grandmother and great grandmother
were all present for the coronation. Let's Rodeo!

It was a hot and happy day for all.

-Laura Dean Kirby Armstrong ('55)
>>From: Bill Berlin ('56)

Re: John Browne, Jr. ('61)
John, my company, Marine Design Associates, Ltd. of Victoria, B.C.
have designed and built more than 22 ferries in B.C. and two in Utah
so we are a bit of a ferry expert, if you will. We did a retrofit job
on the Wheatland Ferry a couple of years back and that is a cable
ferry. That is to say that it is run by pulling on cables with a motor
turning the cable winches. The ferry in North Richland was a barge
that was side-towed by a tug, or that was my recollection having
crossed there a lot as a kid. In Eastern B.C. we have three
"reaction" ferries that use the current to push/pull the ferry 
across the river and they are very efficient and economical. 

Most of the ferries that we build are powered by Z-drive units
located in opposite corners (port and starboard) of the vessel, or in
some cases, in all four corners. My good friend Dr. Dave Priebe ('57)
has a summer home on Gabriola Island and the ferry that transports
Dave and Norma across the "chuck" is one of our ferries. If any Bomber
has been over to Guemes Island across from Anacortes, that ferry was
designed by our firm but the contract was taken away because "we were
Canadian" and the boat had to be designed and built in Washington, a
taxpayer thing I guess. As it turned out it was "designed" from our
plans and we were going to build it at Dakota Creek Shipyard in
Anacortes but it ended up being built in the Gulf.

We don't do any consulting for the Washington State Ferries for
liability reasons, but do a lot of work for B.C. Ferries on secondary
design and engineering contracts.

-Bill Berlin ('56) ~ in Anacortes, WA where it is cooler and cloudy.  
            Feels pretty good after three days in the high 80s.
>>From: Larry Mattingly ('60)

Re: Tri-City Raceways

To: Jack Gardiner ('61)

There is a new owner at the raceways this year. We have always done
a small fireworks display there for the weekend of the 4th. Even with
repeated attempts by our eastern WA manager, he was not able to find
out anything about what they are doing this year. We finally just gave

It is again Memorial Day weekend. In the midst of all of the holiday
activities let us not forget those who paid the ultimate price for
much of what we have in the United States of America.

The annual fireworks at Grand Coulee Dam on Memorial Day Sunday night
was cancelled by the sponsor this year. The "Laser Light Festival" has
been losing attendance each year and it was getting difficult to raise
the funds. Not sure where it will go in the future.

However....the annual Forest Festival in Shelton, WA is on for next
weekend rain or shine. Saturday, June 4th there will be a very large
fireworks display on the high school practice field next to Wal*Mart.
This display will be among the top 4-5 displays in WA this year. 
10 PM prox. I will be there all day Saturday, wiring special firing 
circuits. Enjoy the show if you can make it.

"Happiness is the sky in bloom"
-Larry Mattingly ('60) ~ From my office so of Olympia. Nice to have 
     cooler weather it was over 100 inside our explosives magazines 
     Friday. The guys went through cases of bottled water.
>>From: Dave Hanthorn (Gold Metal Class of '63)

To: Maren (63 & 64)
Re: cherries
Sorry Maren, we never swiped any cherries from a handicapped person.
There were several Bing trees on the 1100 block of Perkins back in 
the day, as well as peaches and plums, and apples, and ....
-Dave Hanthorn (G.M.C. '63)
>>From: Jim Hamilton (Gold Metal Class of '63)

The Old Man loved a good cigar, and his favorites were in fact "Marsh
Wheeling Conestogas". Now my old friend Bill Berlin ('56) brought 
back many memories, albeit that now there are only memories of Marsh
Wheelings as they closed in 2001. When my youngest daughter Megan (her
Bomber connection is that she student taught at Jefferson) was born in
1973 I actually bought a couple of boxes at SouthCenter to pass out. I
may very well still have the actual orange and blue box. There was not
a ready supply of good cigars in Richland, so Roi-Tan Bankers became
the smudge of choice and I'm quite sure that the constant stream of
blue smoke from 213 is the reason everyone is talking about how good
the cherries were. Another great cigar smoker was Tony Blazine at
BB&M, although I'm not sure I ever saw his lit.

When we made our regular pilgrimages to Portland, Pop would always
stock up on cigars at the Fred Meyer on Sandy which had parking on the
roof. There was also a gas station close by that had some WWII Bomber
in evidence. Don't recall if you could climb on it or not, but I know
they didn't ever employ anyone who told you to "Have a good one". My
Dad also liked Five Brothers Pipe Tobacco, which once masked the smell
of driving with the emergency brake on. When Billy Chipmunk ('63-RIP)
was my roomie in EWSC, he smoked Cherry Blend. It gave him one 
horrible hack, but he hung in there until the can was used up, and 
then went down to the Cheney Newstand and bought another. I guess he 
forgot that he didn't like it, but then again you've got to remember 
who we're talking about.

Not many smokers left, except for Pook and Chico. Maybe Chico has quit
by now, he was rolling his own the last time I saw him.

Semper Bomberus

-Jim Hamilton (Gold Metal Class of '63)
>>From: Linda Reining ('64)

To: All servicemen and women, past and present

THANK YOU for your sacrifices! 
-Linda Reining ('64) ~ in hot, hot, hot Bakersfield, California!!!!!
>>From: Rick Maddy ('67)

To: Linda Sargent Evans ('67) 

Hi Linda.

Thanks for posting that info on Nick Ruppert. Barb sent that address
to me a while back and I've been watching Nick's progress. I know this
kid will pull through this. He is young, strong, determined, hates the
hospital, but understands the reasons he can't leave yet, wants to go
home and is angry a lotů which are all very good signs! And probably
the two best parents that one could only wish for in John Ruppert & 
Elaine Roberts Ruppert ('67). Two years from now John and Elaine will 
be standing there in complete awe of how much this kid improved... I 
can see that... I lived that once. I went from a dead man to a living 
example of a pain in the rear :-0 Although, his whack on the head is 
of concern and time will prove that he will be better than anyone 
could have ever imagined after being placed in God's hands.

And I still get up every day with a pain or ache that reminds me of my
year in the hospital... grrrr. Bouts of depression now and again that
I deal with WITHOUT drug therapy. My Veteran Administration doctor
asks me now and then if I need to see the psychiatrist. I tell her I
am the sanest person I know and I don't want to take their pills...
because they will find something they feel I need a pill for... I'm
sure of that. ha. But I'm alive, for better or worse. It's all good.

Thanks, Linda!!

Your classmate, 
-Rick Maddy ('67)
>>From: Mike Howell ('68WB)

Here's to Memorial Day, Remembering all who didn't make it home, and
Welcome Home to all who did. The saying that comes to mind is that
Freedom tastes better to those who fought that those that nought. So
guys and gals who went -- I too want to say Thanks.

-Mike Howell ('68WB)
>>From: Rick Valentine ('68)

To: Dick McCoy ('45)

I remember well water skiing in the irrigation ditches in West
Richland pulled by a car. That practice was still alive and well in
1968. The main thing to watch for was signs... had to make sure you 
let go of the rope if you saw a traffic sign coming up... the driver 
of the car would honk the car horn twice to make sure the skier knew
he was approaching a traffic sign. It is indeed a wonder that we were 
not seriously injured or killed, but none of us ever got hurt, other 
than minor cuts and bruises.

-Rick Valentine ('68) ~ Spokane, WA. Where we are having mid 80s 
    weather for the Memorial Day weekend. YES! (Fran Teeple Wolf ('68)
    are you out there, I haven't talked to you in ages.) 
>>From: Zorba Manolopoulos ('91)

Re: RHS Tournament - Cancellation

I wanted to make sure that everyone still know the tournament has 
been cancelled this year.

There were not enough registered players to hold a tournament. Due to
past performance, there isn't much chance that we would be able to get
enough players between now and the tournament date.

Therefore, we have decided to cancel this year's tournament now,
rather than risk not having enough players to have enough teams. Also,
we will not be ordering any jerseys.

Thank you for registering and your interest in the basketball
tournament. It is too bad we could not get more players.

I will be returning payments you have made via mail with a check
(including those made with PayPal).

Have a good holiday.

-Zorba Manolopoulos ('91)
Funeral Notice scanned from the TCHerald
by Shirley Collings Haskins ('66)

>>Robert George Ellis ('81) ~ 8/8/63 - 5/24/05
That's it for today. Please send more.